Sunday, May 18, 2008

AT LEAST HALF OF ALL NEW HIV INFECTIONS ARE AMONG PERSONS UNDER THE AGE OF 25

The first letter that I ever wrote was to someone living with AIDS.
I was in elementary school and part of a drama ensemble called Act II and one day we had a guest speaker come in from another a town to speak to us about HIV/AIDS. This was at a time when HIV/AIDS was new and an extremely “big deal” unlike today as it’s seemingly fell of the radar? When do you hear about AIDS? Hmm...if you have to think--the answer is not often enough. Where were you the first time you heard of AIDS? Where were you the first time that you begin to care about it?
I remember sitting in that little desk silent as a mouse listening to the strange man speak although I can’t recall exactly what he said, but he was HIV positive and I was fascinated and saddened listening to him speak. After he left I couldn’t get home fast enough to write him a letter. Someone with AIDS right before my very eyes? C’mon only people on TV had AIDS not a person…Oh man, was my mind spinning. I had no clue what to say—but I had his address and something to say. I mean this was big stuff for my little brain. So I wrote him, his name was Richard, I believe. I have no idea what I put in that letter. But I’m sure that it was multiple pages, involved a few questions and opinions. Given that I was in 4th grade or so, I don’t know what I would have discussed (Saved By The Bell?) but I must have said something fore he replied (in a return letter) that my words made him cry and he thanked me for writing -- which in turn made me fall in love with the written word.
Since then it’s been me and the pen/keypad have been like this (signaling eye to eye).
Meanwhile, I’ve never been in love with books and I was named after an author. Some writers will tell you, Oh I read this book and that book changed my life inspiring me to begin a magical literary journey of my own and here’s a list of my favorite books etc.
Me = no list of favorites.
But I have a box of letters mostly from people that I’ve never met. And my favorite, despite having letters from Finland, Australia, France, Uganda would undoubtedly be the one from a place less than 50 miles outside my hometown.
So, on this day of AIDS WALK NEW YORK 2008, I’d like to say congratulations to all the participants! Keep fighting to all those living with the disease! Hello to everyone I met during those fun evenings volunteering at the phone bank—especially a big hello and thank you and bear hug to William! I hope there was lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ raised and awareness spread!
Lord willing, I will see you guys next year circling that magical place called Central Park!

No comments: